SUMOskinny magazine is the ultimate guide to college life. Part local, part national, and all college.
Halloween is just around the corner, and with that, you’re going to need the perfect costume, or costumes, if you plan on going out multiple nights with different outfits. The problem? We’re all dirt poor, and don’t have $100 to spend readily on three nights worth of costumes. Of course, there is always iParty and that fancy Halloween store that always comes in around the beginning of October, but their costumes are so expensive and not that great quality. If you’d rather get it done by the professionals, go ahead, but a little more digging can get you a great Halloween costume for half the price. Check out my top five places to snag a Halloween costume without emptying your wallet.
1. Savers. This place sort of gets a bad rep around campus for being a little, what shall we call it, sketchy, but it’s a great place to throw together a Halloween costume for not a ton of money. It will take some digging, unless you head straight for their Halloween section, but if you’re looking for something goofy and out-of-the-ordinary, Savers is the place to go.
2. Marshalls. Again, Marshalls is a great place to snag something really unusual, not an entire costume. The store has everything from complete costumes to clothes from the beautiful to the ridiculous, and accessories that keep your wallet fuller and you happier.
3. Jo Ann Fabrics. If you’re slightly more creative than the average college student, a little can go a long way at Jo Ann Fabrics, if you’re willing to put in a little more effort than usual. This place has a ton of fabric (duh) but also carries those little things that really make a costume jump out. So if you’ve got some extra time and don’t want to wear the exact same costume as everyone else, check out Jo Ann Fabrics.
4. Bindy’s Boutique. Bindy’s is located right in downtown Durham and is home to a collection of “gently used” clothing and accessories. Check it out to try and get an inexpensive hand-me-down that will make the perfect costume for one night.
5. Wal-Mart. Oh, sweet Wal-Mart, what would we do without you? Wal-Mart has a ton of prepackaged costumes for a relatively low price, and extra accessories as well. However, keep this in mind: Everyone and their mother will be trying to snag costumes at Wal-Mart, especially when Halloween gets closer.
Also, don’t be surprised if you see at least ten other people wearing the same exact costume as you when you go out Halloween weekend.
Everytime you socialize with SUMOskinny, you get points. Read a story? Points. Share a story? Points. Use points to get free stuff in our shop now.