SUMOskinny magazine is the ultimate guide to college life. Part local, part national, and all college.
F***. My. Life.
That has pretty much been my mantra since that fateful game on January 16th. I left Gillette feeling totally empty, surrounded by the broken souls of 68,000 fellow New England fans (the rest were d-bag Jets fans enjoying their soon-to-be-short-lived time in the sun). I knew it meant that I wouldn't be watching any SportsCenter or visiting any of my favorite sports sites for the rest of the week. It also meant that I wouldn't be watching any of our other banner-hopeful teams because I knew Patriots references would be made at any given chance. The Herald even managed a Pats connection (albeit, a far reaching one) to BC hockey's unsuccessful outing in Maine last weekend.
The Jets loss to the slightly-less-detestable Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday jump-started my healing process. (Wait. What's that Bart Scott? Ran out of things to say, did you?) One more game before we can put this whole season behind us ...
... And that means focusing my attention back on the teams that haven't wronged me (damn you, Tom Brady). Here's what I missed - and if you are at all like me, then you probably missed it too:
- The Bruins have gone 3-2 since Black Sunday, including a shutout win over the Hurricanes (7-0).
- Tim Thomas still owns the top spot in GAA, SV % and Shutouts. He was named last week's First Star of the Week.
- Marc Savard sustained two concussions last week and has been listed as out indefinitely.
- The Celtics won 3 out of their last 4 games, their only loss coming against the Washington Wizards (85-83). Boston remains #2 in the power rankings.
- KG returned to action - and looks good, totally 68 points in just four games.
- A sore right hip will keep Shaq on the sidelines for at least two games ... but the Celtics are 8-2 in Shaq-less games.
- 20 days until pitchers and catchers report.
- Catcher Ryan Lavarnway and starting pitcher Stolmy Pimentel stood out in the Rookie Development Program (which highlights players expected to go pro in the next 12-18 months) that was held at BC.
- Johnny Damon agreed to a one-year/$5.25 million (plus incentives) deal with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Manny Ramirez, who agreed to a $2 million deal, will be joining his former teammate in Florida. Both deals are pending physicals.
- Tom Brady, Logan Mankins and Jerod Mayo were named to the AP All-Pro Team. Sebastian Vollmer, Devin McCourty and Vince Wilfork were named second-team All-Pro.
- BC men's hockey leads the Hockey East Conference is sits in the #2 slot in the USCHO poll. Men's basketball is currently 4th in ACC standings.
- Lookin like a fool with your pants on the ground.
Life goes on ...
Everytime you socialize with SUMOskinny, you get points. Read a story? Points. Share a story? Points. Use points to get free stuff in our shop now.