SUMOskinny magazine is the ultimate guide to college life. Part local, part national, and all college.
Today is 4/20: National Weed Day – to me, the holiest day of the year. It’s the day that I set everything else aside to induce tetrahydrocannabinol into my body in as many forms as possible including: smoking, eating and vaporizing it.
There is truly no better way to enjoy marijuana other than sitting in front of a television and watching one of your favorite movies in dim lighting. Blunt, joint, bong, bowl or whatever your preferred contraption is, here are the ten best stoner classics of all time to watch while savoring your cannabis sativa.
10. Jesse Dylan’s “How High” (2001) – I’m fully aware that the premise of this movie is as stupid as it gets, so go ahead and crucify me. There’s NOTHING wrong with an utterly simplistic stoner flick – especially one starring Redman and Method Man.
9. Danny Leiner’s “Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle” (2004) –The first movie of this high grossing, pot-filled series is an automatic munchie-inducer - even if you don’t happen to like greasy ass White Castle food.
8. Joe Cornish’s “Attack The Block” (2011) – Surely the only alien invasion movie on this list, there’s not too many things funnier than watching Nick Frost exhale after holding a bong hit for several seconds.
7. Amy Heckerling’s “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” (1982) – This movie is one of the very few times in his life that Sean Penn didn’t play the same exact Sean Penn character he’s always played.
6. David Gordon Green’s “Pineapple Express” (2008) – The fact that lead actor James Franco doesn’t smoke weed is the most amazing aspect of this 2008 hit – and Seth Rogan is a stoner genius himself.
5. Richard Linklater’s “Dazed and Confused” (1993) – This isn’t solely a stoner comedy, it’s also a coming of age movie where weed is just an ever-present, daily component of life. You’re a lot cooler person to David Wooderson if your carrying grass.
4. Lou Adler’s “Up In Smoke” (1978) – I would not be a certified pothead if I left the original Cheech & Chong movie off my list – so here it is. See it for yourself - it’s smoke-filled AND hilarious.
3. Dennis Hopper’s “Easy Rider” (1969) – When it comes to counter-culture classics, “EASY RIDER” is always near the top of the list, in part due to the improvised conversation mid-movie between Dennis Hopper, Peter Fonda and Jack Nicholson’s “first-time smoker” character.
2. Joel Coen’s “The Big Lebowski” (1998) – The bottom line is that there isn’t one single more notorious stoner character in any film in cinematic history other than “The Dude.”
1. F. Gary Gray’s “Friday” (1995) – The #1 stoner comedy of all time must be inventive, authentic and indisputably hilarious – three qualities that “FRIDAY” has even on the worst day of the week. Ice Cube and Chris Tucker eventually dynamically save the neighborhood while professing their love for Mary Jayne.
Everytime you socialize with SUMOskinny, you get points. Read a story? Points. Share a story? Points. Use points to get free stuff in our shop now.