SUMOskinny magazine is the ultimate guide to college life. Part local, part national, and all college.
Okay so (hopefully) you have a better understanding of what NOT to do after a break up, but now you want to know what you should do to help yourself get over it. No matter what the reason was for breaking up, you may still feel upset. The worst scenario is that your ex is moving on faster then you. Don’t worry. Here are a few ways to keep your self on track and moving on.
1) Identify what went wrong, accept it, and move on. As impossible as it may seem, it is possible to find someone else. Try not to dwell on the past. Think about what went wrong in the relationship and what was right and learn from that.
2) Make plans. I’ve found that if you make plans and stick to a schedule, you will think less about what happened. Surround yourself with people that make you feel great about yourself. Host a weekly movie night with the girls or maybe plan a dinner party. The more you tend to isolate yourself, the more time you will have to be upset over your ex.
3) Let your inner flirt out. Plan a night out with your closest friends and open your self up to meeting new people. You probably aren’t very excited about trying to meet some one new, but allow yourself to step out of your comfort zone; you may be pleasantly surprised. Plus, getting attention from a cute guy is always a confidence booster.
4) Don’t feel guilty for wanting to splurge on a new wardrobe. Okay, so I don’t mean blow your entire paycheck at BCBG, but it does feel good to get a few new pieces of clothing. Treat yourself to a cute new pair of shoes or a hot dress to go out in. The saying is true, “if you look good, you feel good”.
5) Do what makes YOU happy. What is something you always wanted to do but you weren’t able to because your relationship held you back? Well, now is the perfect time to do it. Discover new things that you enjoy doing like taking a trip or volunteering.
Now I’m not saying this is going to make everything perfect, but following a few simple rules will help with the break up process. Who knows? Maybe you’ll see your ex and they’ll realize what a dumb ass they was for ending it with a great person like you.
Everytime you socialize with SUMOskinny, you get points. Read a story? Points. Share a story? Points. Use points to get free stuff in our shop now.