SUMOskinny magazine is the ultimate guide to college life. Part local, part national, and all college.
Media paints cross-country car trips so well. They definitely have the fun side right! Wind whipping through your hair when in the warm states, music from your teen years blasting, and laughing while you take photos at silly monuments are all things that do happen.
But here's what else happens:
- Radio stations get boring. Most hit stations play the same 36 songs over and over so unless you want to memorize "Love You Like A Love Song" by what's her name Disney actress, get an iPod or have some burned CD's in your bags. Put some oldies with some new favorites and throw some bad songs in their for a good laugh.
- You'll get cramped. I'm not one to say anything about packing lightly, but you should try. The more stuff you have, the less leg room there is. You'll get restless enough as it is so at least make space to fidget and readjust when your butt starts to hurt.
- Getting car sick is possible. Have some Dramamine if you get motion sick, some Tylenol for headaches, and simple crackers and water for emergencies.
- It's normal to have to pee. This is understandable since you have to stay hydrated but it gets to be a pain if you have to find an exit with a gas station that has public restrooms. So go right before you leave, as your mom says, and everytime you make a stop, even if you don't have to, and don't chug 3 beverages right after one another.
- There will be fast food consumed. Not a big fan of MickeyD's? They have apple pies and fries and things other than burgers so you can get something small. If you stop near a convience store, get granola bars and a sub. Or, even better, stop at a local grocery store before you head out so it's less expensive. Now while your homies chow down on the junk, you will be eating too.
Hopefully you or a fellow roadtripper has AAA because they will save you no matter where you are if things go wrong. Drive safely travelers!
Everytime you socialize with SUMOskinny, you get points. Read a story? Points. Share a story? Points. Use points to get free stuff in our shop now.