SUMOskinny magazine is the ultimate guide to college life. Part local, part national, and all college.
Cocktails are for girls right? With their frilly Appletini’s and umbrellas to shade their drink... That’s what I thought too for the longest time so whenever I went to a bar I would just order Whiskey on the Rocks or a Jack-and-Coke so I wouldn’t feel like a pussy (for lack of better words).
Late last night after a long night of Whiskey on the Rocks I went home through on the TV and started to pass out. Without paying much attention to what I was watching I switched over to Mad Men. A brilliant show about the sex and style of advertising in the 1960s. Due to the ego-driven nature of the advertising business 50 years ago much of the plot line revolves around drinking and partying. In my drunken daze I began to notice these (mad) men drinking delicious looking cocktails. The wheels began to turn, if these guys can pull off drinking garnished drinks, why cant I or we? Right?
This morning when I awoke, the idea was fully planted in my brain to find out what these guys were drinking and how they made it look so bad ass to sip on cocktails. With a little luck I stumbled upon (literately) the entire drinks list of Mad Men. Go figure it is on their website.
Here is what you need to know about drinking like a mad man.
Order for Taste: forget all that BS about looking hard, men deserve to drink something other than beer that tasty delicious.
Own it: next time you go to the bar, tell the bartender exactly what you want. And do it with confidence.
Cocktails aren’t for getting trashed: have a few classy drinks, loose the ambition than switch back to the Jack-and-Cokes.
Here are my recommended drinks:
1. A Classic Martini: James Bond drinks it why can’t you? Note: Martini’s are made with gin, not Vodka, so be careful when you order.
2. Vodka Gimlet: If you like the bitter sweet in live you’ll love the gimlet. Lime and Vodka can’t get much better than that.
3. Tom Collins: A stylish twist on a gin drink the Tom Collins will sweeten up your night.
4. Mint Julep: If your like me and drink everything with a splash of bourbon the Mint Julep is your ticket to heaven.
5. Sambuca con Mosca: A perfect night cap for a long night of drinking. Plus the coffee beans will give you a big enough kick to make it back home.
For the full list visit: http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men/cocktail-guide
Good luck gentlemen.
Everytime you socialize with SUMOskinny, you get points. Read a story? Points. Share a story? Points. Use points to get free stuff in our shop now.