I love lists, especially when they pertain to things like travel. Travel and Leisure came out with their list for Americas Dirtiest Cities. Some of them come as no surprise, but there are a few "what the shit" moments. Here's the list from the dirty, filthy, too dirty to clean their act up (NAME THAT SONG!), to the less putrid (but still wouldn't wanna lick). It's a long list so here are some highlights with their ranking order.
1) New Orleans- Ok. They rate this in terms of Mardi Gras. Noo shit people. Look at any city after there have been hoards of people puking, drinking, taking off their clothes, getting beads thrown and probably peeing themselves. No city would be looking its best after this. PLUS, let's not judge them on being a clean city right now. If I recall correctly, New Orleans has been a little under the weather.
2) Philly- According to T&L, Philly isn't into its environmental awareness and isn't very stylish. Since when does bad style make you dirty?! Well, ok...wearing head band skirts when people can see your good 'china might do it. Philly is the slutty sister.
3) Los Angeles- I agree. I've spent ample time there, most recently Pride and yeah, LA is nasty. It's not a pretty city at all. Sure the houses in Beverly Hills/Bel Air/Brentwood are beautiful, WeHo is sexy (well, the guys are), and the Hollywood Hills frame the area nicely, but with such failing air quality, rundown shacks on most of the streets.. well LA... YOU IS DIRTY.
12) San Francisco- YES! We tend to be a very crunchy granola city, built off glitter and fetishes. As beautiful as it is, it's kind of gross. I blame the dirty hippies.
14) Boston- Fenway Park after a Sox win? The Common? The fucking hair and clothing on some of the women? T&L says you still win for great museums, beer and music.
20) Anchorage- Sarah Palin.
Dirty cities were ranked by- environmental awareness, nice public parks, pedestrian friendly, air quality etc.. Sadly I wish they ranked it by dirty people and porn shops per sq. ft., because Alaska would WIN.