SUMOskinny magazine is the ultimate guide to college life. Part local, part national, and all college.
Updated On: May 9th, 2010
This policy does not apply to the practices of third parties that Sumo Skinny does not own or control, or to individuals that Sumo Skinny does not employ or manage.
What Personal Information About Users Does Sumo Skinny Gather?Our primary goal in collecting personal information is to provide you with a friendly, customized, and efficient experience. We collect the following types of information from our users:
1. Information You Provide to Us:
We receive and store any information you enter on our website or provide to us in any other way. You can choose not to provide us with certain information, by doing so you may not be able to take advantage of many of our special features. The personal information we collect includes:
* Registration: In order for you to use certain Sumo Skinny services, such as submitting new articles to the Site, you must complete a registration form including your full name and email address.
* Member Profile: You have the option (but are not required) to enter your full name and the URL of your blog into your member profile for public display on the Site.
* User Content: You may post your own stories on the Service as well edit and comment on the stories of others (collectively your "User Content").
2. Automatic Information:
* We receive and store certain types of non-personally identifiable information whenever you interact with us. Sumo Skinny automatically receives and records certain "traffic data" on our server logs from your browser including your IP address, Sumo Skinny cookie information, and the page you requested.
* Sumo Skinny may display a counter on any page indicating the total number of times that page has been viewed. This includes member profile pages.
* Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and tell us how and when pages in our website are visited and by how many people. Sumo Skinny cookies do not collect personal information, and we do not combine information collected through cookies with other personal information to tell us who you are or what your screen name or email address is.
The "help" portion of the toolbar on the majority of browsers will direct you on how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies , how to command the browser to tell you when you receive a new cookie, or how to fully disable cookies. You may choose to disable or reject cookies when using the Service, but you may not be able to access some of Sumo Skinny's most attractive features.
* If you choose to provide posts from your blog via Sumo Skinny, we may ask you to paste confirmation code into the external template of your blog that communicates with us to authenticate the blog as an authorized feed and places a badge on your blog identifying you as a Sumo Skinny Affiliate.
How Does Sumo Skinny Use My Information?
* Social sharing of User Content: Sumo Skinny allows other users to browse stories that you have written, edited, or commented on. This information is made available via your member profile, on the Sumo Skinny, or within the article or history page of the story in which you performed the action on. Sumo Skinny may choose to post this data on other site features in the future.
* Profile information: Sumo Skinny allows other users to browse your full name, and blog URL within your member profile should you provide this optional information.
* Syndication: Sumo Skinny allows for the RSS syndication of all of its public content within the website.
* API: Sumo Skinny may allow third parties access to all Sumo Skinny data that is already publicly available through SumoSkinny.com through an application program interface that allows other programs to interact with the Site. Sumo Skinny will keep passwords and blog settings private.
* Traffic data: Sumo Skinny uses this traffic data, including information gathered from cookies, to help diagnose problems with our servers, analyze trends, research the market for our services, and administer the website.
Will Sumo Skinny Share Any of the Information it Receives?
We will not rent nor sell your personal information to anyone. We share your personal information only as described below.
* With Your Consent: Except as set forth above, you will be notified when your personal information may be shared with third parties or used for a purpose incompatible with the purpose(s) for which it was originally collected, and you will be able to prevent the sharing of this information by opting out.
Is Information About Me Secure?
* Your Sumo Skinny account information is protected by a password for your privacy and security. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your password and account information.
* Only Sumo Skinny employees who need personal information to perform a specific job (for example, a customer service representative) are granted access to it. All of our employees are kept up to date on our privacy and security practices.
* Sumo Skinny uses commercially reasonable physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to Sumo Skinny and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission of information, Sumo Skinny makes commercially reasonable efforts to ensure the security of our systems. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. This information includes your User Content. You understand and acknowledge that, even after removal, copies of User Content may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or if other users have copied or stored your User Content.
What Information Can I Access?
You can access your personal information on our website and correct, amend, or delete information that is inaccurate by visiting your user profile setting page.
What Choices Do I Have?
* You can always opt not to disclose information, but then you may be unable to use certain features on our website.
* You can choose to disable or reject cookies from the Service, but you may not then be able to access many features of Sumo Skinny.
* You can add or update certain information on pages of the Site. When you update information, however, we often maintain a copy of the unrevised information in our records.
* You may request deletion of your Sumo Skinny account by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can Children Use Sumo Skinny's Services?
You must be at least 13 years or older to register to use the Sumo Skinny website. Children between the age of 13 and 18 must have parental consent to register. Sumo Skinny does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register. If you are under 13, please do not send any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, or email address. No one under age 13 is allowed to provide any personal information to or on Sumo Skinny. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
Third Party Links and Cookies
The Site contains links to web sites of third parties. Sumo Skinny is not responsible for the actions of these third parties, including their privacy practices and any content posted on their web sites. We encourage you to review their privacy policies to learn more about what, why and how they collect and use personal information. Sumo Skinny adheres to industry recognized standards to secure any personal information in our possession, and to secure it from unauthorized access and tampering. However, as is true with all online actions, it is possible that third parties may unlawfully intercept transmissions of personal information, or other users of the Site may misuse or abuse your personal information that they may collect from the Site.
Sumo Skinny uses third-party advertising companies to serve our ads on the Site. These third-party advertising companies employ cookie and 1x1 pixel .gifs or web beacons to measure and improve the effectiveness of ads for their clients. To do so, these companies may use anonymous information about your visits to our website and other websites, but will not collect any information which can personally identify you or can be linked to you. This information can include: date/time of banner ad shown, the banner ad that was shown, their cookie, and the IP address. This information can also be used for online preference marketing purposes.
If you want to prevent a third-party advertiser from collecting data, currently you may either visit each ad network's web site individually and opt out or visit the NAI gateway opt-out site to opt-out of all network advertising cookies. Click here for the NAI gateway opt-out site.http://www.networkadvertising.org/optout_nonppii.asp
This site will also allow you to review the third-party advertising companies' privacy policies.
Questions? Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.